Produced by Stock Aitken Waterman, Ian Levine, Trevor Vallis, Pete Hammond and Pete Ware, “Always” features a host of classic SAW singles – ‘Who’s Leaving Who?’ (#4), a cover of Anne Murray’s 1986 single, ‘Maybe (We Should Call It A Day)’ (#15), ‘Turn It Into Love’ (#21), originally an album track and subsequently a Japanese #1 for Kylie Minogue, plus the dancefloor favourites ‘They Say It’s Gonna Rain’ and ‘Always Doesn’t Mean Forever’.
Digitally re-mastered direct from master tapes held at the PWL, Abbey Road and Capitol Records archives, this Deluxe Edition brings together the original nine-track album with no less than 20 bonus tracks across two CDs. Added to the album and available on CD for the very first time are two sought-after 1986 singles: ‘Stand Up’, a Stock Aitken Waterman reworking of Umberto Tozzi’s ‘Hurrah’, and ‘E.S.P. (Extra Sensual Persuasion)’, a cover of Millie Jackson’s 1983 single. Bonus tracks also include rare B-sides, the 1987 U.S. 7″ remix of the 1985 hit ‘No Fool (For Love)’, the original Dutch-only single version of ‘Walk In My Shoes’ and many mixes previously unreleased in the UK or only available on vinyl.
The extensive booklet also features additional photos, a fully illustrated discography and recording data, full lyrics and an exclusive track-by-track commentary written for this release by Hazell herself.
The definitive doyenne of the Hi-NRG scene, Essex-born Hazell Dean found mainstream success in 1984 with the #6 hit ‘Searchin’ (Gotta Find A Man)’ on the Proto label. The Stock Aitken Waterman-produced follow-up, ‘Whatever I Do (Wherever I Go)’, reached #4, giving the Hit Factory team their first Top Ten single and marking the beginning of a partnership with Hazell which continued until 1991. After the release of her 1985 album “Heart First”, Hazell signed with EMI and a succession of releases over the next three years culminated with “Always”, widely regarded as her best work. In the years since, Hazell has continued to write, produce and record, recently revisiting ‘They Say It’s Gonna Rain’ on Energise Records, as well as maintaining her profile as an evergreen club performer.
1. THEY SAY IT’S GONNA RAIN 7″ Version
2. WHO’S LEAVING WHO? 7″
3. TURN IT INTO LOVE
4. YOU’RE MY RAINBOW
5. ALWAYS DOESN’T MEAN FOREVER 7″
6. MAYBE (WE SHOULD CALL IT A DAY) 7″
7. WALK IN MY SHOES
8. NOTHING IN MY LIFE
10. NO FOOL (FOR LOVE) The Murray 7″ Mix
11. AIN’T NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING
Duet with Darryl Pandy
12. STAND UP 7″
13. CAN’T GET YOU OUT OF MY MIND
14. LOVE ENDS, LOVE PARTS
15. WALK IN MY SHOES Original Version
16. E.S.P. (EXTRA SENSUAL PERSUASION) 7″
17. WHO’S LEAVING WHO? The Boys Are Back In Town Mix
18. STAND UP 12″ Version Extended Version
1. E.S.P. (EXTRA SENSUAL PERSUASION) Extended Dance Mix
2. IMAGE IN THE MIRROR
3. THEY SAY IT’S GONNA RAIN Indian Summer Mix
4. ALWAYS DOESN’T MEAN FOREVER My-Ami Mix
5. MAYBE (WE SHOULD CALL IT A DAY) Extended Version
6. WALK IN MY SHOES Nightmare Mix
7. WHO’S LEAVING WHO? Bob’s Tambourine Mix
8. MAYBE (WE SHOULD CALL IT A DAY) The Extra Beat Boys Remix
9. TURN IT INTO LOVE House Mix
10. THEY SAY IT’S GONNA RAIN The Zulu Mix
11. TURN IT INTO LOVE Alternative 12″ Mix